JOB TITLE: Human Capacity Development Officer
CONTRACT TYPE: Fixed Term
REPORTS TO: Systems Support Coordinaor
The Organisation of Rural Associations for Progress (ORAP) is a leading local NGO involved in development and relief (emergency) work in rural communities in Matabeleland North, Matabeleland South and Midlands provinces. It exists to fight all forms of poverty among the rural and urban grassroots communities of disadvantaged women, men and youth through the empowerment of people by facilitating their development in their diverse cultural contexts.
Provide leadership to the human resources team and be the strategic business partner to the Systems Support Coordinator.
- Provide technical input in the ORAP strategy development process and ensure that the human resources department’s performance goals are in alignment with the ORAP strategic plan. Keep abreast with strategic human resources issues in the country and in the humanitarian sector and keep abreast and updated with changes in labour laws and legislations and provide technical guidance to all stakeholders on issues and changes in statutory requirements for management decision making.
- Ensure the coordinate of an organizational-wide process of assessing and maintaining high levels of employee engagement including coordinating and monitoring the implementation of staff engagement action plans.
- Develop and update Human Resource policies and procedures that meet the needs of ORAP’s strategic objectives.
- Facilitate staff grievance management initiatives through creation of appropriate policies, procedures, structures and staff awareness.
Recruitment, Selection & Staff Orientation
- Providing staffing services to ORAP ensuring that the organiation recruits the right people in the right place at the right time.
- Providing proactive sourcing; accountable, transparent, and focused recruitment processes; and expert support to hiring managers
- Providing technical guidance to the hiring managers in the development of job descriptions.
- Coordinating and guide the selection process including short listing and interviewing candidates
- Negotiating pay package for successful candidates and extend employment offers to successful candidates
- Facilitating effective induction and orientation for new hires at all levels in line with ORAP policies
Employee Contract Management
- Administering employment contracts, ensuring that appointments, contract renewals, contract extensions and separations are effected timely as per policy.
- Coordinating changes in employee movement including acting appointments, promotions transfers, deployments, special appointments, to ensure timely appointments and advise payroll accordingly.
- Ensuring compliance of Contract management process with employment legislation to avoid litigation.
- Processing staff separations owing to resignations, terminations, retirements, end of contracts, death among others to ensure timely update of such changes on staff records, and payroll processes and work with hiring managers to ensure timely replacements of such separated staff who need to be replaced
- Ensuring that compensation and benefits programs are aligned to the ORAP policy and are competitively positioned within the local labour markets.
- Administering compensation and benefit programmes for all staff (contract employees, temporary, casuals, volunteers etc) in accordance to ORAP Policies.
- Facilitating the understanding of Compensation and benefits programmes through on-going communication, policy, and process development.
- Facilitating the conducting of regular targeted compensation and benefits surveys and benchmarking and prepare reports and recommendations to management for review and decision making to ensure ORAP is positioned as an attractive employer.
- Ensuring timely enrolment and termination of staff and their dependents into all benefits programs as appropriate.
- Ensuring timely preparation and payment of final dues to separating employees and processing of gratuities and leave allowances for staff.
- Coordinating the implementation of the annual performance management cycle to ensure timely performance planning, performance reviews and conducting of performance appraisals
- Collating information from performance appraisals processes to guide management in decision making including consideration for Performance Improvement Plans, and awards of merit increases, Recognition
- Coordination the provision of staff care & Support for ORAP staff.
- Ensuring timely deployments of interventions to build capacity for staff well-being so that employees can achieve balance in work responsibilities and other aspects of life.
- Ensuring peer support activities in the organization are available and well-coordinated and provide peer support as and when required.
- Providing regular updates to staff on the Staff Wellness Programs to encourage uptake for increased staff wellness
- Conducting regular review of the staff wellness programs and interventions deployed to inform usage and or provide information to management for decisions making
Qualification and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management or related field is a requirement. A professional diploma in Human Resources Management is required if the first degree is not in HRM. Must be a member of a recognized Human Resources Management Institution.
- Minimum of 7 years’ demonstrated experience in human resources management.
- Extensive knowledge of the Labour Act, Codes of Conduct and Collective Bargaining Procedure.
- Familiar with the CBA for the National Employment Council (NEC) for the Education and Welfare Organizations
- Computer literate and familiar with relevant software packages.
- Sound knowledge of labour law
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Good counselling skills