Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Resources Management Officer, and direct supervision of the Procurement Assistant, the successful candidate will assist with procurement activities of the Mission.
IOM’s Internship Programme aims at attracting talented students and graduates who: Have a specific interest in, or whose studies have covered, areas relevant to IOM programmes and activities; Are either students approaching the end of their studies and preparing a thesis, or recently graduated or who have more than one year of relevant working experience; Proficiency in written and spoken English.
Inclusion and respect for diversity - Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences while encouraging diversity and inclusion wherever possible; Integrity and transparency - Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct; Professionalism - Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies (Behavioural)
Accountability - takes responsibility for actions and handles constructive criticism; Client Orientation - works effectively with clients and stakeholders; Continuous Learning - promotes continuous learning for self and others; Communication - listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; Creativity and Initiative - actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; Performance Management - identifies ways and implements actions to improve performance of self and others; Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility; Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter; Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation; Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
Duties and Responsibilities
• The Procurement and Logistics Intern will: Assist in submission of calls for quotations (sending RFQ to various suppliers);
• Ensure timely delivery of procured goods, works and supplies;
• Assist in issuing, monitoring, and managing the tender process throughout all its stages and participate in the evaluation of bids/quotations analysis;
• Participate in negotiations to obtain favourable prices and terms by engaging senior representatives of suppliers’ firms when the need arises;
• Maintain records of all procurement transactions and ensure that an efficient filing system for record of quotations, copies of records of expenditure, receipts and local order forms are kept;
• Provide general office support such as processing, drafting and finalizing any correspondence and other communications relevant to procurement activities as may be required;
• Maintain supplier and procurement tracking databases;
• Maintain a fixed assets register and ensure that it is updated on a regular basis;
• Record all relevant information in relation to the use and returning of any fixed asset borrowed by staff;
• Assist in the management of the asset disposal process in accordance with IOM procedures;
• Receive and dispatch goods stored in the warehouse. Perform such other tasks as may be assigned by the procurement department.
Qualifications and Experience
Qualifications (Education, experience, and competencies)
• Business Administration, Procurement and Logistics or a related professional qualification with an accounting or financial orientation;
• Experience in procurement or logistics; Strong organizational skills;
• Ability to work independently and to prioritize competing assignments;
• Additional experience such as SAP or specialised computer programs will be an added advantage;
• Ability to cooperate and coordinate with other units.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to [email protected] referring to this advertisement.
No late applications will be accepted. Female candidates who are qualified and experienced are especially encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.