Communications and Reporting Specialist :
- Full Time
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (“FAO” or “Organization”) is an intergovernmental organization with
more than 191 member nations. Since its inception in 1945, FAO has worked to alleviate poverty and hunger by promoting
agricultural development, improved nutrition and the pursuit of food security. FAO operates at country, sub-regional and regional
levels with its headquarters based in Rome.The FAO Sub-regional Office for Southern Africa (SFS), based in Harare, Zimbabwe, is a subsidiary of the FAO Regional Office for Africa (RAF). The principal function of SFS is the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priorities based on the needs of the countries in the sub-region. SFS supports member states in implementing strategies for addressing priorities related to subregional food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development. SFS also plays a very important liaison role to a large number of important development partners based in the subregion
The position is located in Subregional Office for Southern Africa, Harare, Zimbabwe
Working under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative for Southern Africa (SFS), the incumbent will work closely with
the regional communication team in RAF, and in line with the Office for Corporate Communication (OCC), to ensure compliance
with corporate guidelines and regional initiatives.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Sub-Regional Coordinator, the Communications and Reporting Specialist will provide communication, advocacy and reporting support to FAO’s subregional programme. In regular consultation and coordination with the Technical Officers, the incumbent shall ensure communications and reporting requirements are met and coherence with FAO’s corporate communication policy and operational guidelines for all information outputs.
Duties and Responsibilities
Tasks and Responsibilities
In particular, she/he will be responsible for the following duties:
• Consolidate information provided by technical and operational staff for the preparation of draft progress and final reports with upcoming deadlines;
• Provide quality control of communication materials for events organized by FAO or with FAO participation at country level or in the subregion, participate in FAO inter-agency communication and reporting efforts;
• Assist in the finalization and editing of key programme documents (e.g. concept notes);
• Develop and produce communication and visibility products for the FAO subregional programme (e.g. success/beneficiary stories for print and web, leaflets, brochures, presentations, posters, etc), including drafting/reviewing texts in English, and overseeing the design, printing and distribution process.
• Edit/revise strategic programme documents in English.
• Facilitate media relations in-country, including organizing press conferences/briefings or field visits and producing media-style public information products, media speaking/talking points, press releases, human interest stories for use by FAO.
• Liaise with relevant colleagues in headquarters, specifically OCC and RAF, to facilitate exposure of FAO’s activities and ensure the accuracy/coherence of content developed by them.
• Provide information and advice to staff on communications related matters;
• Participate on project teams and work groups; and
• Perform other related duties as required
Impact of work
The incumbent’s work is expected to have impact on the timely and efficient delivery of assistance to livestock development programmes and projects primarily in Zimbabwe but also in the sub-region.
Qualifications and Experience
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University Degree in communications, social science, journalism, political science or related field.
• At least 1 years of relevant experience in communications, public information, advocacy and outreach activities at the country and/or international level.
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO languages (French, Spanish, Arabic,
Chinese, Russian) for Consultants. Working knowledge of English for PSA.SBS.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions, is desirable;
• Experience in the field of resource mobilization and programme management, preferably in humanitarian settings;
• Ability to write clearly, concisely and effectively;
• Work experience in the areas of advocacy and communication is considered an asset;
• Knowledge of UN or standard operational rules and procedures and project/programme administrative management procedures is considered an asset;
• Ability to work independently, under time pressure and meet deadlines;
• Thoroughness and reliability, sense of diplomacy and tact.
• Excellent communications, writing and editorial skills with good attention to detail.
• Ability to use own initiative, multi-task and excellent organizational skills.
• Good knowledge of UN system, procedures and operational activities is an advantage
How to Apply
Click View More Information Button
View more information