6 months contract duration
Within the resilience building component, a number of value chains and innovations are being implemented and considered, which include hydroponics, youth economic empowerment projects, small livestock production and other high-tech solutions ,and additionally, WFP Zimbabwe CO intends to implement hydroponic farming projects that aims to enhance access to climate smart agriculture infrastructure through the installation of hydroponic farming systems under the Urban Programme and for the refugees in Tongogara Refugee Camp. The Agronomist will work within the Programme Unit, and will report to the Urban Resilience Building Lead, to support the roll out of the resilience-building activities with a focus on development of urban and refugees agriculture, hydroponics, and agricultural value chains interventions.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Suitable candidates are requested to submit their application attaching a signed application letter, recent Curriculum Vitae (CV) together with an updated Personal History form (P11) showing name, address, email and telephone numbers of three professional referees.
The position is open to nationals of Zimbabwe ONLY.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the recruitment processes.
Duties and Responsibilities
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
• Within the Programme Unit, the Consultant will be working under the direction and supervision of the Urban Resilience Building Officer. The Consultant will be required to:
• Leading design of urban and refugees agriculture activities including hydroponics intervention.
• Providing technical backstopping and advisory support to Field Offices and Cooperating Partners on roll-out of hydroponics technology.
• Identification and vetting of hydroponics input and equipment suppliers.
• Developing training material on hydroponics and urban agriculture for training communities.
• Lead horticulture and livestock value chain functionality assessments.
• Supporting capacity development of local authorities, and other stakeholders in hydroponics technology
• Designing monitoring and evaluation framework for tracking hydroponics results and impact.
• Documenting best practices and lessons learnt.
• Working with national and district authorities to support urban agricultural policy development.
• Supporting market assessments with reference to urban agriculture and value chains development work.
• Support hydroponics initiatives at the Tongogara refugee camp
The Consultant will work to deliver the following:
Task 1: Design and develop a hydroponics system suitable for urban context and within refugees set up in Zimbabwe and formulate a strategy and plan of implementation.
Task 2: Conduct value chain analysis for urban resilience building livelihoods and initiatives
Task 3: establish supply chain networks for effective hydroponics production and marketing
Task 4: Develop capacity of resilience building project committees in hydroponics technology
Task 5: Develop trainer/learner modules for the hydroponics technology
Task 6: Provide technical advice and expertise in policy development and knowledge transfer in urban
Task 7: Support urban resilience project
Task 8: Support hydroponics initiatives at the Tongogara refugee Camp
Qualifications and Experience
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
• Minimum of a Master’s degree in Agronomy, Agriculture Economy, Agribusiness or similar.
• At least 1 year post graduate experience in hydroponics technology design and implementation.
• Sound understanding of the local agricultural context, smallholder farmers, and agricultural value chains.
• Experience in developing training material and conducting trainings on agricultural best practices for government stakeholders and communities.
• Strong communication and inter-personal skills.
• Fluency in both oral and written communication in English language and in at least one local language.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
• Has gained experience in implementing technical programs (i.e. nutrition, etc.).
• Has implemented programmes and provided input into designing operations.
• Has provided input into policy discussions and decisions.
How to Apply
Apply online, visit the website below.