RESEARCH ASSOCIATE (FIELD AGRONOMY) | ICRISAT
ICRISAT seeks application for the position of Research Associates under East and Southern Africa Program. This position is based at ICRISAT- Bulawayo, Zimbabwe.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more efficient and profitable agriculture.
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org .
The Research Associate should have strong organizational and analytical skills in research and development, and experience in farmer participatory research and on-farm data collection.
Broadly implement and supervise research leading to increased smallholder farm level productivity, and sustainable natural resources management, including climate smart agricultural practices such as conservation agriculture, micro dosing, etc. promotion in the semi-arid areas of southern Africa. Specifically;
- Support the designing and organization of agronomic trials and surveys
- Lead the implementation of on-farm field experiments in soil fertility and water management
- Field data collection and statistical analysis
- Conducting laboratory experiments (soil/plant analysis and soil physical properties)
- Training of extension staff and farmers on climate smart agricultural practices
- Work with and advise farmers on appropriate soil/crop management practices through participatory studies.
- Train and provide technical support to extension staff on improved soil and crop management options for dissemination to farmers.
- Support documentation, report writing and presentation of results
- BSc Agriculture (Agronomy, Soil Science or Crop Science)
- MSc (Agronomy or related discipline) would be an advantage
- Minimum of 4 years post graduate experience in research and/or development with extensive experience in field work.
- Knowledge on smallholder crop-livestock production systems, production technologies and market development, climate variability and change in the dry lands of southern Africa
- Experience in designing and implementing agronomic field experiments and on-farm trials.
- Knowledge of crop-soil models is an added advantage
- Experience in farm surveys and farmer participatory research
- Experience with Government and NGO activities is an advantage
- Strong field work experience and willingness to travel is essential
- Conversant with computers and related statistical software (SAS, Excel, STATA, GENSTAT etc)
- Good writing and communication skills
- Capable of working with limited supervision and self-motivated
- Requires national traveling.
- Fluency in English.
- Good working knowledge of Shona and Ndebele.
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff ( NRS ) position for one-year renewable based on the performance of the incumbent and the institute’s continuing need for the position.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 15-November-2020 , with latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged. However, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.
“ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer”