Education Officer – Terre Des Hommes
Immediate Supervisor: Project Manager
Objective of the Post
The Education Officer – Construction: Coordinate, monitor construction and rehabilitation of classroom blocks including school WASH interventions in Chipinge and Chimanimani.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Carryout a detailed assessment of schools physical infrastructure in the Chimanimani/Chipinge District, including community satellite schools.
- Design and monitor rehabilitation of classrooms and teachers houses in the district.
- Support schools in reconstitution of furniture making recommendations for the provision of new furniture in vulnerable schools.
- Collaborate with district WASH committees in the design and construction supervision of school latrines in selected schools within Chimanimani/Chipinge District
- Training of local builders and School Development Committee (SDC) members in safe school construction
- Evaluate and recommend appropriate school water supply systems not limited to borehole drilling and rehabilitation.
- Support school level health and hygiene promotion activities and designing age appropriate learning tools for children,
- Assisting in procurement of disinfectants and equipment, classroom furniture at schools,
- Assist in carrying out assessment to identify schools with OVCs, learning gaps and children with special needs in the district and follow-up visits,
- Assist in training of teachers and education inspectors on pedagogy for disaster disrupted children, integrating DRR in school curriculum and cascading,
- Conduct mobile awareness outreach services for awareness raising,
Essential skills and experience
Experience in carrying out rehabilitation works on physical infrastructures; Good construction and building skills, Demonstrated ability to produce high commendable project reports; Good report writing skills; Knowledge of DRR in schools and Ministry of Primary and Secondary Policies is an added advantage. Ability to produce a variety of written and visual communication products in a clear and concise manner; Ability to conceptualize and design advocacy and information campaigns; Good and diplomatic communication skills
- University Degree in Education (Specialising in building and construction), Development Studies and or Higher National Diploma in Civil Engineering.
- Additional qualifications in Construction, Water and Sanitation with no less than 5 years’ experience will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrate experience in working with the communities.
Interested candidates should send their cover letter and curriculum vitae with three contactable referees to [email protected]
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Please note the post can be filled before the deadline.