Purpose of Job
To offer technical guidance, capacity building and supervision to site staff in delivering clinical services at New Start centres.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Monitors SRH and ART Nurse counsellors daily for quality clinical service provision including Family Planning, Cervical Cancer Screening and Treatment, STI screening and treatment, services for survivors of sexual violence.
• Supervises the management of ART clients including clinical staging, ART initiation, adherence to treatment, monitoring for drug toxicities, viral suppression and switching to appropriate drug regimes.
• Interprets abnormal lab test results and ensures appropriate action is taken.
• Manages opportunistic infections including TB and severe adverse events.
• Consults the more difficult cases and complications as referred by Nurse Counsellors or whenever necessary.
• Provides primary healthcare management including Non-Communicable Diseases to clients being served in the various departments at the clinic.
• Promotes service integration across programs at the site.
• Supports recruitment of clients by contributing to development and implementation of recruitment strategies to meet program targets at the site.
• Monitors client retention in care by supervising client follow up tools and strategies.
• Provides technical support to Laboratory and Pharmacy departments at the site to ensure optimum patient care
• Assesses nurse counsellor performance, identifies learning needs and designs activities to guide and teach at the clinic.
• Plans and coordinates clinical meetings, case presentations and lectures for continuous development for all site staff.
• Contributes to the development and updating of SOPs in line with best evidence
• Conducts daily electronic data quality reviews on ART patient records.
• Supervises the conducting of death audits with lessons learned in the event of a patient demise.
• Ensures delivery of integrated SRH/ART clinical services according to national and international guidelines as well as PSI policies, protocols and procedures.
• Oversees quality control meetings for images in VIAC images.
• Assists Site Manager in conducting quality control sit ins and exit client exit interviews periodically to ensure quality care
• Attends to medical emergencies that arise in the course of clinical service delivery at the site.
• Refers clients to appropriate specialist service providers and tertiary hospitals with co-ordinated communication with the receiving institutions.
• Performs LEEP procedures for treatment of precancerous cervical lesions, biopsies for histological diagnosis, lumbar punctures, marsupialization and incision and drainage of abscesses whenever necessary.
• Removes difficult implants and IUCDs after unsuccessful attempts by nurses.
• Performs difficult phlebotomies for nurses whenever necessary.
• Performs other primary care surgical procedures at the site as necessary and as they deem fit e.g. suturing lacerations
• Attends local meetings for and on behalf of PSI.
• Assists the Site Manager in engaging local stakeholders on PSI programs
• Participates in operational and clinical research to provide learning from the cohort for decision making on patient management.
Qualifications and Experience
What are we looking for?
• Medical Degree MBChB from recognised a University.
• At least 5 years’ experience in OI/ART services
• Experience providing VIAC and LEEP services is an added advantage.
• Open practicing licence from the Medical and Dental Practitioners Council of Zimbabwe (MDPCZ)
How to Apply
In return, PSI/Z offers competitive remuneration, commensurate with qualifications and experience. PSI is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of gender identity or expression, race, religion, national origin, or disability.
Detailed CV and a Cover Letter clearly highlighting the job title on the subject line should be sent not later than June 07, 2021, to [email protected]
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.