On Call Nurse
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS (CFA)
Position Title: On Call Nurse
Duty Station: Harare Zimbabwe
Type of Contract: Special Short Term Hourly Contract
CFA Reference Number: CFA2021/011
Closing Date: 8 September 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading international organisation in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Migration Health Physician, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Harare, Zimbabwe
Duties and Responsibilities
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Perform daily nursing activities in the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) to fulfil the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the areas of:
a. Medical examinations,
i. Such as checking vital signs, weight, height, visual acuity.
ii. Blood, urine, or sputum collection as required.
c. Laboratory testing.
e. TB management.
f. Treatment and referrals.
g. Pre-departure procedures and medical movements.
h. Documentation, certification, and information transmission and
i. Other technical areas as may be required.
2. Provide information and detailed explanations to the migrants and/or refugees in relation to:
· The migration health assessment process; and,
· Treatments and referrals.
3. Ensure proper identification and follow-up by:
· Comprehensive history taking.
· Accurate and thorough Bio-data collection.
· Ensuring ID verification for each step of the health assessment process.
· Keeping a register of applicants who undergo health investigations and testing.
4. Follow and implement the Health Assessment Programme’s check lists and SOP’s and maintain standard universal precautions within MHAC.
5. Verify samples of sputum, blood or others are properly transported to the laboratory or previously designated location.
6. Maintain and monitor the MHAC pharmacy, stock, medical kits, and emergency kits within the MHAC and for medical escorts if applicable.
7. Provide pre and/or post counselling to migrants or refugees on TB or HIV education, prevention, and management as appropriate.
8. Prepare administrative reports and program updates as necessary.
9. Support the planning and execution of mobile missions if applicable.
10. Assist with pre-departure documents, briefings, and preparations as necessary.
11. Perform medical escort duties when required to ensure migrants receive continued care throughout all phases of migration (before departure, during the journey and at the destination).
12. Maintain collaborative relationships with various partners to facilitate the follow up and relevant information sharing. Partners include internal IOM departments, other health providers, panel physicians, embassies other UN agencies or NGO’s and others as applicable.
13. Collect statistical information and share with the Senior Migration Health Nurse or CMHO as per preset and agreed upon format.
14. Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
· Nursing Diploma or Degree with a minimum of three years relevant clinical experience and a valid license to practice nursing in Zimbabwe
· Excellent technical skills, including in phlebotomy.
· Training or working experience in the areas of Tuberculosis management, mass immunizations, communicable diseases, laboratory testing, or public health is an advantage.
· Computer literacy required: MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Access)
· Valid license to practice within country is mandatory
Proficiency in written and spoken English.
Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators:
· Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticism
· Client Orientation – works effectively with clients and stakeholders
· Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
· Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
· Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
· Performance Management – identifies ways and implements actions to improve performance of self and others.
· Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility.
· Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
· Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
· Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment
No late applications will be accepted
How to Apply
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to [email protected] by 8 September 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
Female candidates who are qualified and experienced are especially encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
More jobs from International Organization for Migration (IOM)