In as much as we take effort and due diligence to confirm the authenticity of the vacancies we post here for jobs in , at this moment, our methods are not fool proof. We urge you not to pay any money for any job offers. iHarare Jobs take no responsibility for any loss of financial value. Please be cautious!
Deadline: 10 July 2021
About the project
The Rooted in Trust project works to combat COVID-19 rumors and misinformation in Afghanistan, Lebanon, Colombia, Brazil, Mali, Sudan, South Sudan, Zimbabwe and DRC. We work to create impact at the local level and inform approaches to rumor management at the global level. The project is supported by a Global Technical Advisory team made up of media, humanitarian, data science and information management experts. In Phase 1 of the project, we collected more than 19 thousand rumors in 14 languages and supported more than 30 local trusted information providers. In this phase of the pandemic, we will build on these efforts to listen and respond to the information challenges faced by vulnerable groups in humanitarian contexts, encouraging open dialogue between citizens and scientists and stronger and more collaborative partnerships between information providers (such as local media) and humanitarian and health sources.
About the opportunity
- The Project Manager - Zimbabwe will lead a team of data analysts, community engagement experts, journalism mentors and researchers to implement rumour management activities at the country level. Providing strategic oversight of the country team, the Project Manager will support staff to ensure activities are delivered on time and according to budget requirements, liaise and promote the project with senior stakeholders, and actively look for opportunities to expand and improve activities. This position will be closely supported by the Global Technical Advisory team and will liaise closely with Project Managers for other project countries to share resources and experience.
- Are you seeking a local leadership position with extensive technical support? A chance to lead a fun and creative team? A full-time, work from home position? If so, this may be the position for you!
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Internews' headquarters and global offices are closed or partially remote. Internews staff are currently working remotely until at least 1 July 2021. Ultimately, this position will be based remotely from a location anywhere in Zimbabwe. You must have work authorization in your location that does not require sponsorship from Internews.
Our commitment to fostering a culture of belonging
- We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world.
- We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility.
- We believe that diverse teams are strong teams, and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people.
- Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
Day-to-day tasks will include:
- Provide overall strategic leadership to the country team, including hiring and onboarding team members and ensuring they receive ongoing training, mentoring, and support; Work closely with the Project Director and Regional Manager to formulate and implement project strategy. Be prepared to pivot operations to respond to emergencies at short notice;
- Actively manage the budget for field operations including the provision of regular budget projections for field costs; Provide regular reporting to Internews, funders, and other stakeholders as required;
- Maintain and develop excellent working relationships and strategic engagement with a wide range of senior figures within the humanitarian relief community, local government, local media, civil society, donor community, and other stakeholders as required;
- Lead on all fundraising efforts on the ground, including liaising directly with donors, in coordination with Internews Headquarters;
- Ensure that field operations comply with all financial, bureaucratic requirements, donor regulations that pertain to staff or consultants who are deployed;
- Other duties as assigned; and In all duties, an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews' Core Values.
Qualifications we’re looking for:
- Ability to work and reside in Zimbabwe;
- Experience managing diverse teams and a talent for creating a welcoming and productive work environment; Strong interpersonal communication, organizational, teamwork, facilitation, and presentation skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills, and the ability to liaise authoritatively with figures from the humanitarian community, local media, local government, and other relevant actors when required; Demonstrated experience in partner and relationship management;
- Experience managing budgets, including producing forecasts and reports;
- Extensive experience working in relief operations in challenging environments, preferably with a deep understanding of local media and/or community engagement activities; Experience in field security planning and procedures in hostile environments/conflict zones;
- Experience working with communities at the border with South Africa - Bulawayo, Midlands, Matabeleland South, Matabeleland North and Masvingo;
- Excellent knowledge of the mandates and modalities of the international humanitarian sector, including the UN cluster system.
- Experience working in health emergencies a plus; Interest in, and familiarity with, new media and new digital applications for citizen journalism and information access;
- Must be self-reliant, resourceful, a good problem solver, and flexible;
- Strong writing skills and proven ability to produce high quality work under tight deadlines;
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Professional proficiency in additional regional languages a strong asset.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network's offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.
Get full position information and apply here