In as much as we take effort and due diligence to confirm the authenticity of the vacancies we post here for jobs in , at this moment, our methods are not fool proof. We urge you not to pay any money for any job offers. iHarare Jobs take no responsibility for any loss of financial value. Please be cautious!
Research Analyst (Fulltime): Institute of Data Science Management
Deadline: 9 July 2021
Reports to: Project's Director
Project name: Zimbabwe Open Data Initiative 2021/2025 (ZODI Project)
Zimbabwe Open Data Initiative (ZODI) is a project of the Institute of Data Science Management in partnership with three International Donor Partners.
- The Zimbabwe Open Data Initiative Project (ZODI Project) seeks to support national efforts to make relevant data available, accessible, and usable for unrestricted use in Zimbabwe.
- The initiative focuses on building high-level policy, and public and private institutional support for open data. The initiative encourages cooperation among existing open data activities, bringing stakeholders together to solve long-standing national problems.
- The ZODI aims to enable the development of data infrastructure in ways that benefit people, companies, governments and civil society.
- We focus on increasing data flows around the data ecosystem, improving skills and capabilities, and encouraging innovation.
We support data flows, focusing our efforts in three broad areas: Improving the data practices of organisations so that they can build and manage adequate data infrastructure and data use. Our work on data literacy and data assurance is part of these efforts; Tackling challenges so that the data ecosystem works better. Our data institutions work and our work on data ecosystems and innovation are part of this; Gathering and creating research, evidence and knowledge about data and the benefits of open, trustworthy data access, to inform companies and policymakers as they create data infrastructure, assets, practices and policies. This is our evidence and foresight work.
Equal employment opportunity
- We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our workforce are directly linked to our success.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company.
- We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law.
- In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
Summary of position
- Institute of Data Science under the ZODI Project is hiring a Research Analyst to work closely with management, team members, partners, and clients on the use of data, open data, and related project workstreams at the Zimbabwe Open Data Initiative Project.
- The Research Analyst will be responsible for supporting the inception and completion of research projects and coordinating efforts between different projects with strong attention to strategy, implementation, and delegation, and in keeping with ZODI strategic goals.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Assist in research and programs on open data, the use of data, and data accessibility (see Measuring Data Use, ODIN, Understanding Usability of SDG Reporting Platforms, and Assessing the Effectiveness of Data Sites in Nepal, as examples of this work);
- Support Managing Director and Director of Research in reviews of data strategies and methodologies, and prepare presentations and talking points together with an in-house designer; Support the development of new programs to support the strategic direction of the organization;
- Assist in policy review and report writing;
- As part of research programs, maintain and cultivate relationships with partners; Carry out other duties related to ZODI activities as requested by ZODI management
Education and experience
- Master’s Degree in economics, statistics, international development, or public policy or equivalent;
- Three to five years of work experience managing multiple work streams in the not-for-profit sector, preferably in a globally focused organization with an interest and expertise in development data;
- Experience working with international organizations such as the UN, World Bank, or national agencies on statistical development projects;
- A track record of developing and maintaining strong working relations with diverse groups of stakeholders; Demonstrated experience supporting research projects from inception to publication;
- Familiarity with statistics/data collection, analysis, and methodology
- Excellent people skills, able to resolve issues independently, with tact and diplomacy;
- Excellent analytical skills, demonstrated capacity in MS Excel, but can include programming in R/Python, or similar program;
- Excellent writing skills, with ability to translate technical findings to broad and varied audiences for policy influence;
- Strong skills working in teams and across many types of organizations – collaborator; problem solver; relationship-builder; with a knack for convening stakeholders across varied sectors;
- Strong attention to detail and demonstrated excellence working in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with partners; Well organized with the ability to plan and carry out multiple tasks simultaneously; Ability to work and deliver under pressure and with tight deadlines
10 paid holidays per year; 15 days Paid Time Off (PTO) the first year of employment, then 21 days per year thereafter; Choice of medical, dental, and vision insurance plans (75% of premium paid for by ZODI for employee; 50% of premium paid for partners and dependents); 'Bring Your Own Device Policy' and an IT stipend of up to USD$1000 per year for allowable IT expenses; Life insurance and Accidental Death & Dismemberment insurance (100% of premium paid under project costs); Policies to support breastfeeding mothers traveling for work and an annual stipend for each child under 16 that can be used toward offsetting childcare costs while traveling; Co-working space/ Internet access stipend for remote employees of up to USD$300 per month; Substantial flexibility on work hours, location, and schedule to allow for balancing work and life commitments.
Please submit your CV and cover letter to [email protected] or [email protected] Applicants will be screened on a rolling basis, so submit as early as possible. All candidates screened and shortlisted are subject to a self-funded Online Proctored Psychometric test using the Watson Glaser Critical Thinking Appraisal for cognitive ability and personality tests. The cost will be ZWL 3,000. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. All applications to be submitted via the provided email address.
To make the screening process effective, consider structuring your cover letter to directly answer the following questions: Why do you want this job? Do you meet all of the qualifications? If not, explain the gaps. Why are you uniquely qualified for this role? What do you bring to the table that puts you at the top of the candidate list?