In as much as we take effort and due diligence to confirm the authenticity of the vacancies we post here for jobs in , at this moment, our methods are not fool proof. We urge you not to pay any money for any job offers. iHarare Jobs take no responsibility for any loss of financial value. Please be cautious!
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is the operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners' peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations. With over 8,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
UNOPS Office in Zimbabwe falls under the purview of the UNOPS KEMC (Kenya Multi-Country Office). Located in Nairobi, Kenya, the KEMC manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The KEMC sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Nairobi/Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in East and Southern Africa. This includes a large portfolio of infrastructure, procurement, and project management service projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, and several Island states.
UNOPS manages a range of infrastructure projects in Zimbabwe in different sectors including education, health, agriculture, transport applying different implementation approaches such as labor-based and outsourced designers/contractors but always with direct supervision from UNOPS.
Following the devastation caused to life, livelihoods, and property by tropical storm Idai in March 2019, the WB has allocated up to US$ 75 million to finance a recovery project for Zimbabwe and the African Development Bank has allocated US$ 25 million. The projects address both early and mid-term recovery needs in multiple sectors (livelihoods, health, education, agriculture, transport). UNOPS manages the WB funds and has established a Project Implementation Unit (PIU) to engage multiple UN partner organizations to deliver specific components of ZIRP. UNOPS is the Implementation Agency for the AfDB project.
UNOPS is in the advanced stages of negotiations with the Ministry of Lands, Agriculture, Fisheries, Water and Rural Resettlement, Zimbabwe and IFAD to support the implementation of rehabilitation work for two irrigation schemes in Manicaland province, namely Romsley and Cashel Valley. Under this project funded by IFAD, UNOPS will be responsible for the delivery of designs and quality delivery of reconstruction of these irrigation schemes and the management, monitoring, and oversight of the project implementation.
Summary of Key Functions :
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services; Proper use of vehicle; Day-to-day maintenance and cleaning of the assigned vehicle;
- Availability of documents/ supplies;
- Immediate action in case of accident.
- Provides reliable and secure driving services by driving office vehicles for the project team and visitors; Collecting and delivering mail, documents and other items;
- Drive safely respecting UNOPS and local rules, and other users of the roads;
- Meeting official personnel at the airport and facilitating immigration and customs formalities as required; Ensures proper use of vehicles through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports;
- Ensures the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle by checking oil, water, battery, brakes, tires, etc.,performing minor repairs and arranging for major repairs; and ensuring that the vehicle is kept clean; Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts;
- Ensures that immediate steps as required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in an accident.
- Completion of secondary school or equivalent is required; Drivers training with a valid driver’s license is required;
- First aid training is an asset.
- A minimum of two years’ work experience as a driver with a safe driving record is required;
- At least 2 years driving and vehicle maintenance skills are required; Knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repairs is an asset;
- Experience with an NGO or the United Nations is desirable.
- Fluency in written and oral English is required.
Core Values and Principles
Integrity and Inclusion - Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion;
Partnering - Demonstrates understanding of the impact of one's own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role);
Results Orientation - Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries;
Agility- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts its own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements; Solution focused- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving;
Effective Communication- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Please apply for this position here