In as much as we take effort and due diligence to confirm the authenticity of the vacancies we post here for jobs in , at this moment, our methods are not fool proof. We urge you not to pay any money for any job offers. iHarare Jobs take no responsibility for any loss of financial value. Please be cautious!
Four (4) x Locum Medical Laboratory Scientists: Biomedical Research and Training Institute (BRTI)
Deadline: 2 July 2021
BRTI-HATIPP COP 20: Laboratory Systems Strengthening
Location: Kadoma, Marondera, Bindura and Victoria Falls
Reports to : Laboratory Mentor
Duration of employment: 3 months (July– September 2021)
The following vacancies have arisen within the Biomedical Research and Training Institute in Collaboration with MOHCC.
The Biomedical Research and Training Institute (BRTI) implements a U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) funded Work Plan for the Ministry of Health and Child Care of Zimbabwe. BRTI is therefore looking for the services of locum medical laboratory scientists. The incumbents of this position will provide medical laboratory quality systems implementation and testing at assigned laboratories in support of MoHCC and BRTI primary goal for achieving a high standard of quality of testing services at public health laboratories in Zimbabwe.
- Minimum Requirements for this position include the following: A Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences;
- At least 2 years’ experience in clinical diagnostic testing laboratory which must include HIV Viral Load and EID molecular testing;
- Experience with various PCR platforms for VL and EID testing;
- Demonstrated interest in quality laboratory practice with strong QMS knowledge, skills and experience; Skill in use of Microsoft Office software (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively within a team;
- ability to provide support to MoHCC staff; Currently Registered with the Professional Body.
Scope of Work
- The lab scientists will be responsible for carrying out VL/EID tests under the supervision of the laboratory mentors.
- They will also carry out duties as follows: Work collaboratively with other laboratory personnel to ensure targets for supported tests including Viral Load and EID are being consistently met;
- Specimen management for supported tests (e.g Viral Load/EID) including ensuring proper receiving, sorting, accessioning, registration in LIMS and proper storage prior to testing;
- Maintenance and monitoring of specimen transmittal records to ensure the referral network and testing process closely monitored;
- Management of rejected samples based on a documented rejection and acceptance criteria including immediate communication of rejections with the ordering health facility;
- Ensuring proper monitoring of specimen transport conditions including temperature monitoring to ensure high quality samples are delivered to the laboratory;
- Monitoring rider’s schedules to ensure all supported clinics in the catchment are being reached;
- Ensuring good clinical laboratory practice as well as providing technical assistance to other laboratory personnel;
- Routinely perform laboratory testing for supported tests e.g., Viral Load and EID testing;
- Development and documenting optimal and innovative laboratory testing processes for supported tests including Viral Load and EID to ensure high quality testing processes and results;
- Identifying, communicating, and resolving areas that need improvement at any stage along the entire cascade of supported testing from sample collection at clinic to receiving of results at the clinic, including along processes within the laboratory;
- Monitoring reagent and consumable stock status, placing orders and following up with NATPHARM or APHL to ensure uninterrupted testing due to stock outs;
- Carrying out and documenting routine user equipment maintenance to control equipment downtime; Performance and ongoing evaluation of IQC for supported tests to ensure ongoing test validity;
- Participation in proficiency testing schemes for different tests;
- Implementing a compliant and safe laboratory environment in line with good practice and applicable requirements, including environmental temperature monitoring and ensuring implementation of the 5S of housekeeping;
- Addressing any complaint and request from users of laboratory services;
- Compiling and submitting periodic reports in collaboration with other laboratory personnel, including weekly, monthly, quarterly reports and other reports as needed;
- Observe proper handling of specimens and safe disposal of biohazard waste;
- Results management including appropriate maintenance of traceable records of all tests done, ensuring patient results are being dispatched and picked up by riders;
- Immediate communication of critical/significant results with ordering health facilities including unsuppressed Viral Load results or positive EID results and ensuring consistent documentation of such communication; Ensure implementation of ISO-15189 Quality Management Systems for supported test processes including Viral Load, EID and TB;
- Participation in laboratory activities including meetings.
Personal characteristics required
- High personal motivation and self-management;
- Enthusiasm and willingness to learn and accept feedback; Confident, communicator who can work comfortably with diverse groups of people;
- Excellent time management;
- Reliable, diligent, detail-oriented worker who can see tasks through to completion;
- Accurate, honest, dependable, and flexible;
- Excellent problem-solving skills;
- Excellent organizational and record-keeping skills;
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality and handle and protect sensitive data with integrity;
- Ability to work with limited supervision and on own initiative;
- Ability to establish rapport with a variety of colleagues and to work flexibly with the line manager.
Interested candidates can submit their detailed CV and cover letter to: The Human Resource Officer
Biomedical Research and Training Institute (HATIPP), 10 Seagrave Road, Avondale, Harare Or email: [email protected]
PLEASE SPECIFY IN THE EMAIL HEADER THE JOB POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR.
Please note: only short-listed candidates will be contacted.