This position will be responsible for controlling outsourced transport operations, the quality of services delivered by contractors concerning Puma Compliance, vehicle maintenance and daily performance management and internal audits to ensure compliance with all standards in the Puma operation.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities, Key Responsibilities:
- Analyzing monthly performance of transport and seek improvements to optimize safety, security, asset utilization and customer service.
- Maintain a constant and critical appraisal/audit of all transporters within the operating region. Identify gaps to be closed with regards to audit findings.
- Ensure Puma’s HSSE and transport control policies, are implemented in terms of both actions and decisions to prevent accidents and harm to the community, staff or the environment.
- Assist with incidents, accident and spillage investigations which include compiling related reports and monthly statistics.
- Training of Depot Managers and Bulk Vehicle Operators (BVO) in vehicle inspection, defect reporting, correct operation of equipment and documentation requirements.
- Daily and Periodic vehicle inspections.
- Periodic internal audits to establish adherence to standards and procedures.
- Placement of purchase orders related to vehicle maintenance.
- Assist with day to day transport requirements, additional vehicles, Adhoc transporters etc.
- Compile and analyze monthly transport KPI statistics and supply completed data to local and regional logistics.
- Investigate losses and implement remedial action plans.
- Knowledge of principles and methods for moving dangerous goods by road.
- Logistics operational understanding.
- To fully understand transport in country legislation and its impact on fleet operations and to proactively act on new legislation and promulgated legislation.
- Experience in operating dangerous goods vehicles and specifically with regards to inspection, application of standards, safe working procedures and emergency response procedures.
- Interface internally with Operations Manager and Terminal Mangers on transport related matters.
Health ,Safety and environment
- Champions HSSE as a personal value.
- Assist Operations Manager and HSSE Manager with the investigation and capturing of transport related incidents/non conformances as well as unsafe practices/conditions on the HSSE Management system.
- Represent Transport on the safety committees.
- Coordinate and assist with Route Risk Assessments process.
- Compile monthly Safety reports for all Transport related matters, including external transporters.
- Conduct audits on SLP and PLI inspections/ vetting.
- Ensure SLP database is up to date and actions taken on non-conformance.
- Ensure Driver related training with relation to DG transportation is done as per the country’s regulations and Puma transport standards. Data base to be kept and updated as changes are made.
- Understand the Road Traffic Act (RTA) for the country of operation.
- Understand requirements of the Enviromental legislation.
- Compile and conduct regular safety tool box talks.
- Coordinate and compile Monthly KPI’s received from transporters and submits to the regional transport team.
- Assist Regional Technical Manager with periodic performance appraisals and follow-up on transporter audits.
- Ensure transporters communicate monthly forecast of vehicle up time and VOR planning with relation to periodic maintenance.
- Submit monthly reports on transport and depot performance which needs to include, Loading performance, Delays, Dropped loads, Safety statistics and delivery constraints.
- Keep all records of all safety checks and safe loading passes issued for vehicles loading at our facilities.
- Keep updated records of all route risk assessments and job observations.
- Coordinate and liaise with Transporter on operational issues.
- Driver behavior monitoring and reporting using vehicle tracking systems.
- Review transport invoices and payment schedules on a daily basis by verifying pricing accuracy prior to being submitted to finance for payment.
- Transporter loss reconciliation and investigations.
- Customer sites compliance with regards to receiving product, SOP and measurements processes.
- Upkeep of Transporters fleet list and driver training matrix.
- Ensuring respective insurances for internal and external transporters are up to date and cover Puma requirements.
Quality and operational Audits:
- Performing pre-contract and on-going periodic audits on Puma contracted transporters operations to ensure that all group HSE policies, standards, practices and procedures are strictly adhered to.
- To provide operational and quality assurance through to identify gaps and recommend the implementation of appropriate remedial action to mitigate risk.
- To ensure that the document management system for quality assurance is operational and up to date and operational
- Terminal SLP audit process and recordkeeping.
- Provide a support service to ensure that the necessary training and guidance is provided to each depot with regards to vehicle inspections and driver compliance.
- Support transporters with the intention of improving operational and technical standards in alignment to Operating country legislation and Puma Energy standards.
- Of sober habits.
- No criminal record.
- Must have a valid passport.
- Must be flexible to travel.
- Be able to communicate at all levels.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Must be Trustworthy.
- Must be dependable.
- Pay attention to detail.
- Qualified diesel technician or an equivalent technical qualification in Mechanical engineering.
- A measure of technical understanding concerning heavy goods vehicles transportation by road.
- At least ten years’ experience in the maintenance and operation of road tankers transporting dangerous goods in bulk.
- At least five years’ experience in a middle management position in the maintenance and operation of Road Tankers transporting automotive fuels or specialized dangerous goods in bulk
- Hands on experience in conducting vehicle and safety audits in a dangerous goods road transportation environment.
- Above average knowledge of dangerous goods road tankers and equipment used.
- Work experience in a technical field.
- Code appropriate driver’s license
- Proven record of accomplishment as being able to self-manage, motivate and coach others.
- Fluent in English – speak, read and write
- Advanced knowledge in Microsoft office applications, excellent in Power Point and Excel
- Successful track record in achieving goals
- Able to maintain and apply laid down requirements and standards.
- Excellent in administrative functions and report writing.
- Able to work in an un-supervised environment
- Results oriented individual with the ability to effectively manage multiple priorities on time lines
- Commitment to working in a team environment, with established team building abilities
- Flexible and pragmatic
To apply please click HERE